Canberra Bilbys Triathlon Club will be offering our popular novice program again in 2017
Online registration is due to open soon.
Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to be notified when the program is released and the sign up is open. The program often sells out so make sure you sign up early!
You can also keep an eye on our website and our facebook page (Canberra Bilbys Triathlon Club) for more information.
Key dates are:
- Information night: Monday, 18 September 2017, 6.30pm at the RUC (Turner)
- First training session: Running intervals- Tuesday, 26 September 2017, 6pm
- First race: 26 November 2017
The Canberra Bilby’s Triathlon Club offers a great introduction into the sport of triathlon through its annual Novice Program. The Bilby’s Novice Program has been running since 2000. Since its inception, approximately 60 novices each year have become triathletes. The novice program caters for all levels of abilities and goals, from people who have no idea about triathlons and may not have ridden a bike for 30 years, all the way through to people who are competitive runners, swimmers or cyclists looking for a new challenge.
The novice program is comprised of training sessions in running, swimming and cycling designed to increase your fitness and improve your performance. The program also provides information sessions on various aspects related to the sport of triathlon, and finishes with your first novice distance triathlon in November.
The program is open to all people over the age of 18.
The Bilbys’ 2017 Novice will commence with an information evening on Monday, 18 September 2017 and provides 9 weeks of friendly, coached training sessions. Training includes one swim squad, one cycling and two running sessions per week, with a 2nd cycling session introduced later in the program. Two specially designed transitions training sessions are also conducted towards the end of the program with the aim of getting you ready for this 4th important discipline in the sport of triathlon.
A full program will be released prior to the information session but in the meantime we can provide some further information:
Swimming training will likely be on Friday mornings at CISAC or Civic Pool.
If you cannot attend a Friday session you can attend one of our regular sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays. We would recommend the Wednesday afternoon sessions at CISAC and Civic.
You will require your own bike and helmet. Road, hybrid or mountain bikes are acceptable.
Bike skills start after the School Holidays on Saturday afternoons from 2:00pm.
Wednesday morning bunch rides (6am to about 7:20am – these commence after a few weeks of skills training) followed by coffee in Dickson.
Tuesday night intervals at Dickson from 6:00pm to 7:30pm
After a few weeks we will start longer runs on Sunday mornings at 8:00am at Mt Ainslie and some popular race locations followed by coffee.
The costs for this year’s program will be $380. The program is exceptional value and includes many benefits including:
- 9 weeks of structured triathlon training sessions, coached by experienced coaches designed specifically to prepare you for your two novice races.
- Entry to 2 Triathlon ACT Novice triathlons during the Triathlon Season
- Membership to Canberra Bilby’s Triathlon Club for the 2016-17 season
- Membership to Triathlon Australia
- Public liability and personal accident insurance coverage while you are racing in Triathlon Australia sanctioned events and whilst training for triathlon
- Generous discounts from our sponsors including the Bicycle Centre, The Runners Shop, Kingston Physiotherapy and the Walking Clinic
- All the Triathlon ACT and Triathlon Australia members’ benefits
- Canberra Bilbys Triathlon Club t-shirt and water bottle
- Specialised information sessions on triathlon aspects
- Social activities including an end of program dinner and drinks
To find out more about this year’s novice program or to subscribe to our weekly club newsletter contact the Novice Program Coordinators Katie, Ken and Alex on email@example.com